Meet Nikki Zalanka. Celebrity make-up artist to the Stars! This 7-year Vet has worked with some of our favorite beauty icons including Keri Hilson, Kelis and Carlos Santana. Not only is she a Makeup Expert and Lash Extension Specialist, Nikki is also the Beauty Editor at VAIN Magazine.
In this weekly section, Nikki will reveal some of her top beauty secrets, give makeup advice and offer insider style tips just for you!
How To Get Kim Kardashian’s
Golden Grammy Look
Kim Kardashian attended the 53rd Grammy Awards and looked amazing as usual. She wowed us with her signature curves, dark locks and flawless makeup. Her look was soft and seductive to compliment her floor length golden sequin gown. Her full brows were toned down a bit to showcase her gold metallic eyeshadow, long, long lashes and nude glossy lips.
This look is very simple to achieve:
1. Start by prepping skin with a primer such as Smashbox PhotoFinish to create a smooth canvas for foundation.
2. Next apply an HD foundation to achieve that perfect airbrush finish. I suggest Make Up Forever HD Foundation or even a budget friendly version, Revlon Photo Ready HD Foundation.
3. Set with a matte powder to get smooth even texture.
1. Next, apply an eyeshadow base to your lids. Try NYX Eyeshadow Base or MAC Eye Prep and Prime.
2. Apply a light dusting of loose pigment in a metallic tone. (Note: using a pigment gives you richer more vibrant color than a pressed shadow….also, the darker your skintone, the darker you may want your metallic shade.)
Fair skin tones: Champagne
Medium/olive skin tones: Golden
Dark skin tones: Bronze
2. Apply with a flat brush and tap off any excess pigment before you start. Press the pigment onto the lid by patting, not brushing back and forth. This gets color pigment onto the skin in a clean and even application.
3. Bring color up to the crease of your lid. Soften by using a round shadow brush such as a MAC 224 brush, and add a warm brown color to the crease of the lid. This will soften the overall look.
4. Using a black kohl eyepencil, line the water line of lower and upper lid. Use the same brown shadow you used in the crease of upper lid to smudge the lower lashline (not the waterline…just the lashline!). This will soften the liner and create a barrier to prevent color from traveling.
5. Use a liquid liner on the top lashline. Try Palliado Liquid Eyeliner or Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner in Black. Start on the inner corner of you lid and work your way outwards, creating a thicker line outwards.
6. Kick up the ends a bit with a cat eye “flick”. This elongates the eyes as well as thickens the lashine.
7. Apply either a strip of lashes (my FAV’S are Wispies by Ardell) or some medium individuals, which ever you are more comfortable with.
8. Finish with two coats of volumizing mascara on top and bottom lashes. Try L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara.
1. Using a big powder brush, apply a light dusting bronzer to hairline, temples, cheeks and chin. This will give your face a sun kissed dimension.
2. With a smaller blush brush, place an apricot color powder blush to the apples of your cheeks. (Note: Make sure the color is visable, but not too overpowering…the focal point of this look is the eyes.)
1. The last step is to apply a neutral lip color that compliments your skin tone.
2. If you have a hard time finding a lipstick that is right for you, you can always line the entire lip with a nude liner and go over it with a gloss!! For this look, I like MAC Lipgloss in C-Thru.
…..And Voila! There’s your look!